Wednesday, October 29, 2008

An Eye-Opening Experience

Namibia was ridiculous! The food was really good too, which surprised me because I expected a desert climate to have bad food. I think my favorite port so far though was probably Cape Town. The city was gorgeous and the people there were friendly. I hiked up Table Mountain, which was a lot more challenging then I expected. The incredible view from the top of the mountain made the hike well worth it. While I was in Cape Town we visited a couple of townships where we saw how the Black South Africans live in Cape Town. If you think that there is an economic divide between races in America, it is more obvious overseas. Cape Town is even more interesting to look at because of the "colored" population that lives there and seeing how they live. Driving to the townships from where the ship is docked, we went from seeing beautiful homes where the white South Africans lived, to somewhat decent homes where the mixed or "colored" people lived (the official 2nd class citizens during Apartheid), to shanty homes in the townships where the black South Africans stayed. It has been an interesting experience traveling to these countries realizing how rare of a person I am in this world. Wherever I’ve been to so far whether its a nice area, store, or a restaurant, you can see the surprise on people faces and sometimes anger when they see that someone black like me can afford to eat at this nice restaurant or shop in this nice store, because that is very unusual for them to see. It has been a real eye-opening experience for me and I'm learning a lot about the world and how it really works.

No comments: